SCHOOL, HOUSE USS No. 9
OMAS:WORKS & WORKS OFFICE
This 1873 Schoolhouse in Meaford, Ontario, is being both restored and renewed.
Its new life will be a cottage that inhabits its heavy stone walls, and also reaches out beyond its shell to a lighter addition to the East.
The interior volume of the existing building reaches from its floor to its ridge nearly 24 feet above. A two-storey volume is being inserted into the West side of this space, which will house the private quarters of the house. The balance of the first floor is raised 24” in order to slightly raise the occupants’ view of the surrounding area, as well as to distinguish the public area of the building. Two existing window openings at the North wall have been joined with a single, fourteen foot wide sliding door.
Two penetrations have been created in the East stone wall to allow passage to the addition, which is clad in charred cedar siding on its exterior, and finished with white oak flooring at its walls and ceiling on the interior. The addition stands on two slender steel columns threaded through the floor and made integral to the room within.